The Institute of Geography in the Department of Social Sciences, University of Bremen, invites applications for the following academic position (under the condition of job release), starting April 1st 2017, for the duration of 2 years:
EG 13 TV-L
full time position
Reference number: A33/17
The postdoc will work in the Climate Lab of the Institute of Geography (http://www.geographie.uni-bremen.de/en/climate-geography), in the project “Projections of global glacier melt under low-end warming scenarios”, funded by the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung, with the goal of improving the scientific basis for the IPCC’s special report on global warming of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
The postdoc will prepare, analyze, and publish projections of global glacier change based on scaled climate projections from the CMIP5 ensemble, using the Open Global Glacier Model (see oggm.org). Furthermore, she/he will contribute to projections of sea-level rise under low-end scenarios, based on the results of the glacier projection, and develop tools to visualize the impact of climate change on glaciers for the general public.
To apply successfully, you will:
- have a PhD in a field of Earth science with proven, strong mathematical/physical background, or a PhD in physics/mathematics/informatics with previous experience in an Earth science;
- have a publication record in peer-reviewed, international journals;
- have demonstrated skills in scientific programming;
- be fluent in English (equivalent to CEFR level C1).
It will be advantageous if you can demonstrate:
- experience in glaciology;
- experience in applying for competitive, external funding;
- working experience in a supercomputing environment;
- working experience with Python;
- proficiency in German.
The University of Bremen is an equal opportunity employer and aims particularly at increasing the share of female faculty members in research and teaching. Thus, qualified women are especially encouraged to apply. International applications and those from candidates with a migration background are explicitly appreciated. Candidates with disabilities will be given preference in case of equal qualifications.
Please submit your application including the reference number, a letter of motivation, CV (with copies of certificates), and contact details of two referees until 01.03.2017 to:
Frau Korte – Reference number